The Portal Opens Up… On the Basketball Court
Having trouble viewing the video? Click here.
Mountain to Climb:
Figure out how Ms. Costa and Mr. C got to their final score of 21-19. Be sure to pay attention to some of the details of the game that were shared in the video.
Seeking the Peak:
Here is an example of what your Reaching the Peak should include:
- If the final score of the game was 15-12…
- Ms. Costa could have scored two 3-pointers, four 2-pointers, and one 1-pointer. Her equation would look like this: (2 x 3) + (4 x 2) + (1 x 1) = 15 points
- Mr. C could have score one 3-pointer, three 2-pointers, and three 1-pointers. His equation would look like this: (1 x 3) + (3 x 2) + (3 x 1) = 12 points.
- For a review on how to use parentheses, check this out.
Beyond the Peak:
- Novel: Travel Team – Twelve-year-old Danny Walker may be the smallest kid on the basketball court — but don’t tell him that. Because no one plays with more heart or court sense. But none of that matters when he is cut from his local travel team, the very same team his father led to national prominence as a boy. Danny’s father, still smarting from his own troubles, knows Danny isn’t the only kid who was cut for the wrong reason, and together, this washed-up former player and a bunch of never-say-die kids prove that the heart simply cannot be measured.
- Picture Book: Strong to the Hoop – James has always settled for watching his big brother Nate play basketball from the sidelines. Then one day, a player is injured and James is asked to join the older boys’ game. This is James’ chance to prove himself on the main court, and he knows there is much more than “game point” riding on his last shot.
Reaching the Peak:
Once you think you have reached the peak of this mountain, ask an adult for permission to leave us a reply explaining how you arrived at a solution. Your reply may not appear right away – don’t worry! – it has been sent to Portal Peak for review and will be posted soon. Remember, there is no need to give an email, your last name, or a website when leaving your reply, just leave those parts blank. For more information, head over to the Navigator’s Base Camp.