The Portal Opens Up… On Vacation
Having trouble viewing the video? Click here.
Mountain to Climb:
Navigators, Mr. C and Ms. Costa figured out their PPM (pages per minute). Now want to know how long it will take them to read the three books on the shelf. Once you figure that out, find your PPM and figure out how long it would take you to read the three books.
Seeking the Peak:
- Fish in a Tree has 276 pages
- Rain Reign has 226 pages
- Absolutely Almost has 320 pages
- To find your PPM, have someone time you reading (out loud or to yourself) for one minute. At the end of a minute, look at how many pages you read. It is ok to estimate fractions of a page if you couldn’t get through the whole thing (like Mr. C did!)
Beyond the Peak:
- Learn more about Ally’s learning style in this article: What is Dyslexia?
- Learn more about Rose’s learning style in the article: What is Autism?
- Learn more about what may be going on with Albie in this article: Learning Problems
- Novel: Fish In A Tree – Everybody is smart in different ways. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its life believing it is stupid. Ally has been smart enough to fool a lot of smart people. Every time she lands in a new school, she is able to hide her inability to read by creating clever yet disruptive distractions. She is afraid to ask for help; after all, how can you cure dumb? However, her newest teacher Mr. Daniels sees the bright, creative kid underneath the trouble maker. With his help, Ally learns not to be so hard on herself and that dyslexia is nothing to be ashamed of. As her confidence grows, Ally feels free to be herself and the world starts opening up with possibilities. She discovers that there’s a lot more to her and to everyone than a label, and that great minds don t always think alike.
- Novel: Rain Reign – Rose Howard is obsessed with homonyms. She’s thrilled that her own name is a homonym, and she purposely gave her dog Rain a name with two homonyms (Reign, Rein), which, according to Rose’s rules of homonyms, is very special. Not everyone understands Rose’s obsessions, her rules, and the other things that make her different not her teachers, not other kids, and not her single father. When a storm hits their rural town, rivers overflow, the roads are flooded, and Rain goes missing. Rose’s father shouldn’t have let Rain out. Now Rose has to find her dog, even if it means leaving her routines and safe places to search.
- Novel: Absolutely Almost – Albie has never been the smartest kid in his class. He has never been the tallest. Or the best at gym. Or the greatest artist. Or the most musical. In fact, Albie has a long list of the things he’s not very good at.But then Albie gets a new babysitter, Calista, who helps him figure out all of the things he”is” good at and how he can take pride in himself.
- Picture Book: How To Read A Story – Step One: Find a story. (A good one.)
Step Two: Find a reading buddy. (Someone nice.)
Step Three: Find a reading spot. (Couches are cozy.)
Reaching the Peak:
Once you think you have reached the peak of this mountain, ask an adult for permission to leave us a reply explaining how you arrived at a solution. Your reply may not appear right away – don’t worry! – it has been sent to Portal Peak for review and will be posted soon. Remember, there is no need to give an email, your last name, or a website when leaving your reply, just leave those parts blank. For more information, head over to the Navigator’s Base Camp.