The Portal Opens Up… In A Fairy Tale
Having trouble viewing the video? Click here.
Mountain to Climb:
Navigators use popsicle sticks to redesign the house for the second of the three little pigs that is stable enough to withstand the force of the wolf, or you blowing as hard as you can. You can use as many popsicle sticks as you would like, but only up to a tablespoon of glue and no more than 6 inches of tape.
Seeking the Peak:
- Need to refresh yourself with the story of the three little pigs and the big, bad wolf? Check out this illustrated audio book!
- Use this online laboratory to test out different materials, forces, and shapes, that will help you make a strong house for the second pig.
Beyond the Peak:
- Article: What Does an Architect Do?
- Article: World’s Largest Lego Tower
- Novel: Big Bad Detective Agency – The houses of all Three (not-so-) Little Pigs were broken into and ransacked, and the Pigs are squealing for justice. So Prince Tyrone, ruler of Fairylandia, drags in the obvious suspect: Wolfgang. The lone wolf has big teeth, sharp claws, no alibi — and a single day to find the real culprit and clear his big bad name. When Wolf (reluctantly) teams up with the fourth Little Pig to crack the case, the Big Bad Detective Agency, and an adventure way funnier than your average fairy tale, is off to a howling start!
- Picture Book: The Three Little Pigs – All three pigs set out to seek their fortune, but two of them come to a sorry end.
- Picture Book: The True Story of the Three Little Pigs – Did the story of the three little pigs ever seem slightly biased to you? All that huffing and puffing–could one wolf really be so evil? Finally, we get to hear the rest of the story straight from the wolf’s mouth. As Alexander T. Wolf explains it, the whole Big Bad Wolf thing was just a big misunderstanding.
Reaching the Peak:
Once you think you have reached the peak of this mountain, ask an adult for permission to leave us a reply explaining how you arrived at a solution. Your reply may not appear right away – don’t worry! – it has been sent to Portal Peak for review and will be posted soon. Remember, there is no need to give an email, your last name, or a website when leaving your reply, just leave those parts blank. For more information, head over to the Navigator’s Base Camp.