The Portal Opens Up… On Lake Champlain!
Having trouble viewing the video? Click here.
Mountain to Climb:
Navigators, pretend you live in the early 1600s and you want a beaver fur hat for you and your family of four people. Use the trading documents in the Seeking the Peak resources to figure out all of the possible ways to trade for enough beaver pelts.
Seeking the Peak:
Beyond the Peak:
More about the Fur Trade:
More about the Innu People:
- Article: The Innu
More about Samuel de Champlain:
- Brief Biography: Samuel de Champlain
- Extended Biography: Samuel de Champlain
- Video: Samuel de Champlain
- Novel: Champlain And The Silent One – His tribe calls him Silent One. He hasn’t spoken since his uncle died fighting the Iroquois. But in the winter of 1609, a new language echoes through the north woods. Samuel de Champlain and his Frenchmen speak of friendship and promise to help the Innu people fight their enemies. This time, Silent One must join the war party, journey far from home, and find his voice to save his brother and his own spirit.
- Picture Book: Morning On The Lake – In the first of three linked stories, a young boy and his grandfather set out in a birchbark canoe early one spring morning. Together, they discover the peaceful beauty of the lake. In the second story, the sun rises high in the summer sky as they climb a rocky cliff for a bird’s-eye view of the land. And, finally, as an autumn night descends, they venture into the woods. Under the patient and gentle guidance of his grandfather, the boy gradually comes to respect the ways of nature and to understand his own place in the world.
Reaching the Peak:
Once you think you have reached the peak of this mountain, ask an adult for permission to leave us a reply explaining how you arrived at a solution. Your reply may not appear right away – don’t worry! – it has been sent to Portal Peak for review and will be posted soon. Remember, there is no need to give an email, your last name, or a website when leaving your reply, just leave those parts blank. For more information, head over to the Navigator’s Base Camp.